Monday 23 April 2007

youtube round up

YouTube round up for the week that was, is, and is to come. So, you know. April's listening/visual pleasures.

Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen: the final episode of M*A*S*H, uploaded in twelve 10 minute segments. Still packs a punch, even on a 4"x4" screen. I think good tv, film, literature, music, art, whatever, will blur your perception of fiction and real-life. You know Hawkeye and BJ and Charles and Margaret and Klinger and Fr. Mulcahy and Col. Potter are characters played by actors, but somehow it just doesn't make sense to call them fictitious. They've become real to so many people, they've got to exist somehow. Somewhere.




All I want is you: Final song on U2's Rattle and Hum album/concert dvd. Dude, even when I know how this video clip ends, I still cry. I remember the first time I watched it, but. I wept like a baby, and then the punch line came, and I was totally disturbed. Like... huh.



Bad: more U2. I love love love this live version.
PLEASED TO MEET YOU!


Bridges and Balloons. Ah, Joanna Newsom. Love her harp, hate her voice. Actually, I love her voice. (There's a lot of love in this YouTube round up.) Sure, it sounds like a squeaky hinge... like somebody strangling cats... off-tune, off-kilter... atonal sqawk... Bob Dylan on helium... but I wouldn't want it any other way. I don't listen to her because she has a nice voice. I listen to her because she has a seriously weird voice but she sings anyway, and no other voice could fit her music. So there.
But! In my musical adventures on YouTube I found this guy Scott Harsington/doublewuzzy who, being something of a genius himself, has transcribed (?) Joanna's harp to piano. If it wasn't obvious to you before, Joanna Newsom writes is an incredible musician.
Bridges and Balloons is one of my favourite songs from The Milk-Eyed Mender.
We sailed away on a winter's day
With fate as malleable as clay
But ships are fallible I say
And the nautical, as all things, fades


Darren Hayes on Spicks and Specks. Who knew Darren Hayes could be funny?



That is all.
(Wow. Just previewed this post, and boy, do embedded videos suck for picture quality.)

No comments: