Tuesday 12 December 2006

blah blah

I keep my old lecture notebooks, same way some people deliberately create scrapbooks, I guess. When there is absolutely nothing else to do, I can flick through them, and out fall these streams of consciousness.

Ahh... anthropology. Yes, those are anthrop notes. See? "Globalisation: precariousness and knowledged based economies" something something. Then I drew a circle, and it kinda got out of hand.

Anthrop. annoyed me and amused me equally. For a while , 'anthropologist' was the punchline to any joke. Then a friend went out with this guy who, much like anthropology, was pretentious and hilarious, and 'Kevin Da Man' became my new sidesplitting punchline.

I think it was all too PC for me; I especially did not enjoy using the gender neutral he/she in essays. Ooh! Excruciating! It's not like gender neutral pronouns are equality enforcing. I mean, come on. We're big tough girls. Are you saying we can't handle people using 'he', 'his', 'man'... seriously. Okay, it's not like I cared. I just thought it was stupid.

The freaky looking guy I sketched inconsiderately was one of my second year stats lecturers. It's not a particularly good likeness. He didn't have cool eyebrows like that, for one. But he had that strange knack of being simultaneously dull and boring and cute and endearing. He said 'Oopsy-daisy' a lot.

The other stats lecturer, the Scottish bogan, would say stuff like "You'll fall in love with Z-scores."

Oh, I know, I know. We had a teacher like that in high school. He talked about that "warm, fuzzy feeling you get inside when you simplify an equation." Exactly. That's what I'm talking about.

Maths is beautiful and elegant. Much like multi-linear phonology, we get to describe these crazy, diverse, seemingly messy phenomena with just a few simple formulae and rules. I think a lot of linguists have maths envy.



Moomintroll madness! I copied these drawings straight from the original Tove Jannson books. The guy with the harmonica, Snufkin, he was my favourite from the series.

"You could write a poem about this. What about:

Floating on this eerie water
Far away from bricks and mortar
"

"Saw a mermaid-- didn't caught her," suggested Sniff, blowing his nose.

"That's not true, not grammar, and it doesn't even rhyme properly," said Snufkin, and the subject dropped.

No comments: